Tuesday 1 January 2008

SOME STEREOTYPES ARE ETERNAL



To set the records straight, it would be false on my path to say that the underrepresentation of minorities in the PR industry is not partly the community's fault.

As an African and I have a few Asian friends whom have all shared similar expectations with me. When I was growing up, my parents knew that they wanted all their children to have specific job descriptions, these descriptions didn’t stretch beyond the conventional doctor, lawyer or if you were lucky, an accountant.

They were very clear that they wanted me to be a doctor - this is not just a stereotypical anecdote that people hear about - it's true! All first generation 'ethnic' parents wanted their kids to have a good solid profession - after all that is why they flock out thousands of pounds in overseas fees - to make a better life for their children. So, like the good dutiful son that I was, I followed the right path to become a doctor. I studied sciences at school, got the necessary preparations by subscribing to all medical soaps – with my personal favourite been Channel 4's ER.

However after my A’ Level results it was apparent to both my parents and I, that my career path had to embark on a diversion. It took a poor exam result for my parents to reconsider.

The moral of the story is tradition has it that many ethnic minorities, particularly Asians and Africans, are obliged to pursue a doctor-lawyer vocation route because they are perceived to be of a high status and financially rewarding backing.

This we must accept plays a part in interested kids to fully explore their passion if it be Public Relations, Journalism or Marketing from an early age. The only way in which we can hopefully change our parents mindset is if increasing numbers of ethnics show interest in these fields and the successful ones in the industry become more visible.

Or maybe I'll just keep dreaming!

No comments: