Monday 24 December 2007

WHAT DOES A MINORITY HAVE TO DO TO RECEIVE GOOD MEDIA COVERAGE?

Since the commencement of my postgraduate, I have started to read more and more newspapers as a result of my desire to write "golden" press releases. I spend the majority of my 'reading' time trying to spot articles which are a result of a press release, a features release or an advertorial.

The more I read British newspapers, the more I get this nagging feeling - Are black footballers the only people that receive good PR? Are 'ethnic' sporting athletes the only ones that receive good PR?

Like my last posting had demonstrated 'OVERVIEW: FACTS AND FIGURES' there are a large number of ethnic groups in this country. However, it seems that if we are not subject of a murder investigation or ASBO behaviour we dont make the news.

What rubs me up the wrong way is how come we are not celebrating the Teacher in South London who is working hard to ensure her pupils do not end up in the gangs or criminal activity? How come we are not celebrating the ordinary father who has raised upwardly standing citizens of society?

How come the only good press an 'ethnic' receives is a result of there athletic profession i.e. a footballer or a boxer?. Is being a footballer more credible than been a doctor. I THINK NOT!

Will I only be accepted as a full Briton if I contribute to the sporting achievements of this country?

Rather disturbing thoughts don't you think?

No comments: