Saturday 29 December 2007

ALESHA DIXON WINS STRICTLY COME DANCING




Alesha Dixon is a highly regarded femal entertainer in ethnic communities across the UK. A former member of the R&B girl group, Mis-teeq. Alesha had been struggling since the split of her group to establish a bonafide music career. Since the release of her debut album 'Fired Up' in early 2007, singles Lipstick and Knock Down made little dent on the UK's official chart.

She made a breakthrough later in the year by starring on the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing show of which she became the 2007 champion.

I was one of the many who voted and as you can imagine I was thrilled for her triumph and I was looking forward to some positive press coverage the next day.

This was clearly not going to happen, as I walked to my local newsagent the morning after, nothing could have prepared me for the bogus headlines of the Alesha on all premier newspapers. They all carried what I considered as unflattering headlines about an alleged affair with the show's runner up, Matt and her bitter seperation from her husband.

Infuriated, I started to think, if this had been Kelly Brook (another contestant) it would be words of praise despite her past as a page three model.

What I'd like to understand is why dont respected newspapers such as DAILY MAIL, THE INDEPENDENT, etc lead by example. They must realise the knock-on effect of articles like these do not just affect Alesha Dixon - it affects the many girls of ethnic origin who look up to her.

So disappointing!

No comments: